About a month ago, we lost power in the office building whereat I currently labor, and the building was evacuated for the day as a result. (Not a big surprise, since it was a stiflingly hot summer day and the building is too modern for things like windows that can actually be opened for ventilation.)
Today, the building management handed out little battery-operated fans with the management company's logo and a note saying "thanks for staying cool during the evacuation!". Alas, the little metal strip that was supposed to be on the battery cover to complete the electrical circuit - wasn't there. Or anywhere else, for that matter. No metal strip, no working fan.
(Easy enough to hack with a paper clip, mind you. But still.)